KOSCIUSZKO HUTS ASSOCIATION

The huts in the high country were built by stockmen, prospectors, recreational fishermen, skiers and the Snowy Mountains Hydro-electric Authority to meet their accommodation, shelter, recreational and hydrology needs at the time. Many of these huts have been lost through fire and decay, but around120 of them still remain. These are now cared for co-operatively by KHA and the Park Services.

 

The Hotel Kosciuszko burnt in 1953, leaving Sponar's Inn - the original staff quarters - standing.

 Reflections: Boyce Bootes revisits Happy's hut after 69 years.

Various collections of documents and photos:

KHA records up to 2009

KHA photographic collection

Frank Leydon photo collection

Herbert Schlink collection

Namadgi oral history project

Charlie Carter is known to have lived in three locations in the Snowy Mountains, Ingeegoodbee, Snowy Plain and the Tin Mines. Henry Willis believes the hut was built in the later 1930's.

The KHA Newsletter is a favourite with all KHA members. It is their quarterly “fix” for knowledge they yearn so much for about the high country huts, the heritage surrounding these unique structures as well as the environment in which they sit.

Shirley McGufficke, Memories of Dead Horse hut, written 1989.

Dead Horse Hut was built by Nankervis Bros 60 odd years ago. 

Mark Hallam sent two collections of photos, Brayshaws Hut in Namadgi National Park and a large collection of photos from a February 1985 workparty at Harris Hut, KNP.

Sadly the hut was burnt in the late 1990s. The workparty was conducted by the caretakers, the Canberra Speleological Society who invited Mick and Phyllis Dowling.

Dick Schofield was one of the builders of Gavel's Hut. Dicks recollections add a little more to our records of the skills of dog trappers.

Download the PDF.

 

From Australia ICOMOS International Movement on Monuments and Sites

A new version of the Burra Charter has been adopted and launched by Australia ICOMOS.

The "Dunbar" was an immigrant ship that sank in Port Jackson Harbour in 1857. There was one survivor out of  59 crew and 63 passengers. 

The NSW Governement maintains a database of sites and buildings listed under the state Heritage Act.