From tthe archives, the attached letter was sent to Graham Scully in 1988 when KHA was negotiating with NPWS for the stabilisation/conservation of Gooandra. The letter was written by Janet Lott, daugter of Carl Wilkinson Lampe, 1902-1975 and contains many valuable contemporary memories passed down to her from her father and uncles.
Mawson’s Hut was built in the summer of 1930-31 by Herb Mawson, the manager of Bobundra Station, for stockman tending 10,000 sheep on the lease between December and April each year. By the mid-1930s the hut had also become popular as a base for skiers touring to Mt Jagungal or undertaking the Kiandra to Kosciuszko traverse.
Horse Camp Hut is believed to have been constructed within the period 1933-39 as a shelter for stockmen working the Clarke brothers’ snowlease. The hut was modified by the Snowy Mountains Authority c1949-51, as a base for horseback mounted teams undertaking survey work on the first capital project of the Snowy Mountains Scheme — the Guthega dam, aqueducts and power station.
Joan: 'the prettiest girl in the mountains'
The story that follows was submitted to the Elyne Mitchell Women's Writing Award in 2009. Written by Joan Sinclair, nee Boardman, it describes in vivid detail her first droving trip in 1942 to Pretty Plain and its hut, at the age of 7 with her father Ernie Boardman.