Oldfields is located in the east of KNP almost at the border with Namadgi National Park and on the track that leads up to Murrays Gap and Mt Bimberi.
Photo: Jane Wheaton, taken following the major bushfires of January 2003.
Also Called Murray Creek Hut or Oldfields No. 1.
Photo: Olaf Moon, 1990
Oldfields was built in 1925 by Jack Pheney for the Oldfield family. It replaced the Wards hut previously built nearby for the family in 1920.
A typical slab hut measuring 10m by 3m, with vertical boards and a great verandah. The roof is of iron and the floor of stones and wood.
A vegetable garden is still visible at the front, plus stockyards about 500m to the east.
An aboriginal circle of stones ( a Bora Ring) used to exist in front of the hut, but careful searches have failed to find it.
Oldfields is a classic, with perfect positioning and construction style. It is considered a favourite hut by many walkers. It has exceptional value from both a heritage and recreational viewpoint.
It is an easy walk from the gate on the Tantangara Dam road, but is not on a common path, except for those coming from Orroral Valley or elswhere in the ACT. A great cycle ride from Orroral Valley.
- A KHA Brief, Notes and History exist for the hut.
- KHA number 1601.
- Hueneke Pp200, 224, 228, 229.