YHA or Geehi is located in the Geehi Valley and is one of five huts made from the round river stones of the area. It is less accessible than Geehi or Keebles.
After the fires in 2003, Noel Gough with the Range Rover Club of Australia completed extensive restoration works on the hut. Read more for further photos.
Photo coutesy of Narelle Irvine, 2010
Also known as YHA, Youth Hostel, Ibis, Bensons, Commissioner's and many other names!
Old Geehi Hut was built in 1945 by D Benson for the NSW Water and Irrigation Comission and used by the Nankervis and Mitchell families for many years.
It was later used by the SMA in the 1950s and as a Youth Hostel in the 1960s until resumed by the NPWS in 1977.
The late Noel Gough was instrumental in preserving the Geehi huts heritage.
Old Geehi is 7m by 4m and built of graded river stones and mortar over a concrete floor. There are four windows in the walls and a substantial fireplace. There is also an outside toilet.
Recently, the wooden boundary fence has been reconstructed, which gives the hut a much more authentic look.
- KHA reference number is 2403
- KNP POM number is L.95.
- Historical notes exist for this hut.
Range Rover Club of Australia restoration works.
The burnt hut after the 2003 fires.
The Range Rover Club of Australia restorers with their handiwork.
Mervyn in the chimney
Freshly painted with new furniture.
The finished hut