Year Built: 1945
Alternate Name(s): Youth Hostel, Ibis, Bensons, Commissioners
Condition: Good

YHA or Geehi is located in the Geehi Valley and is one of five huts made from the round river stones of the area. It is less accessible than Geehi or Keebles.

After the fires in 2003, Noel Gough with the Range Rover Club of Australia completed extensive restoration works on the hut.

GPS Location View on Map

Brief History

Old Geehi Hut was built in 1945 by D Benson for the NSW Water and Irrigation Commission and used by the Nankervis and Mitchell families for many years.

It was later used by the SMA in the 1950s and as a Youth Hostel in the 1960s until resumed by the NPWS in 1977.

The late Noel Gough was instrumental in preserving the Geehi huts heritage.

Construction

Old Geehi is 7m by 4m and built of graded river stones and mortar over a concrete floor. There are four windows in the walls and a substantial fireplace. There is also an outside toilet.

Recently, the wooden boundary fence has been reconstructed, which gives the hut a much more authentic look.


References

  • KNP POM number is L.95.
  • Historical notes exist for this hut.

Last updated 24 November 2020