Old Currango Homestead is located just below the tree line at the NW end of Currangorambla Plain, with fantastic views across the plains to the Brindabella Ranges in the east. Grid Reference is 504490.
Photo: D. Mitchell, 2011
It is accessible via the Mosquito Creek Firetrail or by walking from Currango Homestead or the Port Phillip Firetrail. If you take the latter, stay on the trail, as short cuts can be very wet.
Also known as Currangorambla.
The primary building was built in 1873 by Tom O'Rourke, who had been grazing on the plain since 1834. It is the oldest remaining building in the Kociuszko National Park.
An old slab and bark hut had stood a few hundred metres to the south east until the current building was constructed.
The kitchen, bedroom and fireplace were built in the 1880s and the store room added in 1900 by Fischer.
The army removed the decaying store room in 1981 with major restoration on the remaining building commencing in 1986 by a select number of former members of the LRC, Talbingo Bushwalkers and KHA .
The building is 10m x 7.5m consisting of 4 rooms (living, kitchen, office and bedroom) and a hallway. The building is constructed entirely of hand split mountain ash, with the interior walls originally lined with hessian and wall paper. The living room and bedroom have unique coffered ceilings made of milled baltic pine, while the roof is split shingled covered by corrugated iron, which was added at the beginning of the 20th Century. There is a wide verandah to the east and north, and mud mortared stone fireplaces and chimneys. The living room and bedroom has the original 4 pane sash windows, while the kitchen and office have 2 pane windows.
Caretakers David Mitchell, family and friends
- Hueneke Pp ii, 3, 223, 224
- KHA reference number is 1210
- KNP POM Schedule is L.10.
- History notes exist.
More information on Old Currango Homestead is published in the book:
Old Currango by Harry Hill ISBN 0-646-34408-0
Profile last updated 7 March 2018.