Located on the Tin Mine Fire Trail, about 27 Km south of Dead Horse Gap.
Also known as Tin Mine 3, SMA or SMC. Carters is the one remaining hut from a series built for the mines. The others were located towards the current toilet location.
The area has been mined since 1873 for tin, but in 1935 to 1936, the Mt Pilot Tin Mining Syndicate built several huts. All were abandoned by 1938. Carters is the last accomodation hut remaining.
Charlie Carter, a hermit and philosopher lived here from 1938. He led a precarious life selling brumby hides and doing a little mining. He died in 1959. His hut, the only one left of the mining huts, was restored by the Illawarra Alpine Club in the 1980s.
There was also a Tin Mine SMA shelter at 117376, built by the SMA in 1954 for survey and later used by CSIRO and Forestry until it was removed by the NPWS in 1992.
Caretakers - Illawarra Alpine Club.
For more photos, see the article for Tin Mines Barn
- Hueneke Pp xviii and 174 - 177.
- Reference by KHA is 2702 for the Barn and Carters and 2703 for the SMA hut.
- KNP POM numbers are L.32 and L.119.
- P. Edmondson, pers. comm.
- A Conservation Brief and History notes exist, with extensive material on Charlie Carter.
(Click on the ? icon for instructions to move it around)
Updated October 2019