photo Olaf Moon 1975
Also known as Tin Hut 2
Tin Hut was built in 1926 by Con Bolton for the NSW Tourist Bureau, Dr Schlink and the Ski Club of Australia, with the specific aim of supporting the first Kiandra to Kosciusko ski crossing. Another hut had existed on the site.
The photograph above was taken in 1975, during a particularly excellent ski tour. Tin is sometimes almost completely covered with snow in winter.
In 2013 KHA purchased a new pot bellied stove to replace the old one. It was very rusty and the top half casting would not sit straight on the bottom. NPWS flew it in via helicopter and installed the new one with the replacement flue kit.
The old stove can be seen in an earlier photo from 2011.
It is named for its roof and walls of corrugated iron! It does however have a wooden floor, plus a stone fire hearth. Separate toilet.
A KHA Brief exists plus a History. The KNP OM number is L25, and the KHA Reference number 2439.