Located under Mt Gungarten on the Big Bend of the River. Some old yards sit below the hut and footpads lead to it (in summer!)
Also known as The Grand, Valentine or Mawsons The Grand.
Mawsons was built by Herb Mawson (the manager of "Bobundra" Station) , plus Lindsay Willis, Con Bolton and Jack Bolton in 1930.
The ceiling and linings were put in, in late 1930 and the chimney in 1933.
For decades, the Exclusive Squirrels Ski Club maintained the hut, and were renowned for keeping a good library. More recently, the new squirrel members have undertaken replacement of the lining of the hut.
The hut also has a fearful reputation for internal wildlife, but its size and location makes it a favourite with XC skiers. It can be a devil to find in a white-out and a GPS position is sought!
The hut is large at 7m by 4m, with two rooms and a woodstore. The roof and walls are of iron and the floor of wood. The chimney has a concrete base and an iron flue. There is also one window and an outside toilet.
Caretakers - The New Squirrels
- Hueneke Pp xvi, 37, 49-51, 128, 151.
- KHA reference number is 2325 and
- KNP POM Number is L.87.
- KHA History notes exist for this hut.