The original hut was built in 1860 by Thomas Cribb. Cribb was reputed to be a steeple chase rider from England who married a Miss Atkinson. They settled in the valley with their cattle and some horses, and although cattle raising was their main occupation, they also carried out some mining. There were three daughters and four sons. One grandson had a blacksmith's shop at the Tumut town bridge.