This hut was burnt down in 2003, by persons unknown. Circumstances indicate that it may have been done deliberately by pig shooters, however police investigations were inconclusive. Namadgi NP management have refused point-blank to allow KHA to rebuild the hut at our expense.
Also known as Rowleys.
The hut is built of timber with rare horizontal weather boards. It has a low pitched corrugated iron roof line. The extension has walls of corrugated iron. There is one fireplace, with the chimney built from iron.
The hut was built in 1950 by Stan Cregan for Rowley Gregory for grazing, after Rowley had aquired the 2000 acre Gudgenby property. His family had a long association with the region.
Being an isolated holding away from the main homestead, this hut provided a small overnight shelter, essential for them to maintain their operation.
The hut was extended in 1973 by Gregory and Len Blundell, who used iron rather than palings for the new walls on two sides.
More recently, some of the deciduous trees around the hut have been cut down by ACT Government E&A officers for reasons unknown.
(for visitors interested in rock climbing, there are some excellent bouldering challenges behind the hut, guaranteed to keep young people entertained for hours.)
Caretakers - none now.
KHA Reference No. 1607
Profile last updated 10 September 2004.