KOSCIUSZKO HUTS ASSOCIATION

Photo of Bushfold Reeds HutLocated at the top of the Bushfold valley behind Mt Tennant, on the Williamsdale 1:50 000 mapsheet. Access is by firetrail from Apollo Road.

Also known as McMahons or Russell Reads Hut.

Brief History

This area of Bushfold was originally selected by the McMahons but later came part of Booroomba Station until it was sold to Russell Read.

The first hut built here in 1955 by Russell Read, was damaged by a strong wind storm two years later. It was built by Russell Read with help from Cav Lalor, for his personal use to support grazing activities. It was used by Russell and his wife Muriel as casual accommodation, and included some home comforts such as a very nice Kooka stove.

It was damaged badly in the 2003 fires and finally pulled apart by the ACT Conservation service in July 2003. NPA volunteers cleared the site and the materials were eventually removed.

About 400m to the south-east stands the remains of the original shearing shed built by Russell in 1964.

The exotic trees were planted by the Pearson family.

Construction

Included iron walls and roof, Kooka stove and kero fridge. The skillion roof was unusual in that it was set particularly high.

Caretakers - none.

References

  • Matthew Higgins Namadgi Sites 1994 p8.
  • Val Jeffrey - pers comm.

Profile last updated 7 July 2005.