Brayshaws Hut is located right beside the Tharwa to Adaminaby Road. A sign by the road, and a stile over the fence lead to a 100m walk to the building.
Brayshaws was built in 1903 by Edward Brayshaw for Davey Brayshaw, to support grazing. Davey was one of nine sons born to William and Flora (nee Crawford) Brayshaw and lived here until his death in 1931.
It was occupied until the early 1960's afterwhich it was converted to shearers quarters. A shearing shed used to exist up the hill from the house, along with extensive yards, all removed when the land was resumed for the Gudgneby Nature Reserve.
From the 1930's it was occupied by Henry and Iris Curtis, who built timber and fibro extensions.
In the late 1980s, it has received extensive renovation, returning it to the original design. This involved removing a more recent extension from the rear of the building, plus extensive repair work to the original.
Across the road from Brayshaw's hut, are the ruins of an old school house. Known locally as the Tin Dish School, and officially as the Bobeyan Subsidised School, it was a small one roomed structure of weatherboards and iron. It was built by local parents from materials from another school.
Only squared blocks of grey stone from the fire place remain. it opened for first term of 1907, operated for four terms of 1908 and 1909, then closed at the end of the first term in 1910.
William Gottaas was the teacher. Children from the Dwyer, Perry, Westerman and Chalker families attended, as their holdings were along nearby Grassy Creek.
Brayshaws Hut is on the Namadgi Historic Homestad Triangle. Download the brochure here.
- KHA Reference 1803
- Maurice Sexton - pers comm.
Last updated 28 November 2020