Franks Hut is a small weatherboard cottage located beside the old pine forest (much of it now removed) between the Yankee Hat carpark and Mt Gudgenby.
Also known as Franks Hut, or Franks in the Pines. The name "Frank and Jacks" is a 2000's change, mainly to placate family members. It has never been really known as Frank and Jacks, but was known as Franks Hut for decades.
Franks Hut was built in 1954 by Cecil Hopkins of Queanbeyan for Frank and Jack Oldfield.
The land was originally purchased by the Oldfields from the Bootes of Gudgenby in 1948. This hut replaced the old Sinclair hut. The hut appears to be substantial, but has never been used as a permanent residence.
Used to support grazing of sheep, mainly breeding ewes. It was resumed in the late 1950's to allow ACT Forests to develop the pine plantations. It is now a great take off point to climb Mt Gudgenby.
A three roomed hut, with weather boards and timber floors, plus an iron roof and brick fireplace.
It is very popular with walking and school groups. It also makes a great place to ride a bicycle too, following easy firetrails.
Popular campfires outside have now been banned by the National Parks, as there is not a secure fireplace, nor good supply of wood.
Caretakers - KHA Members
- KHA Reference number is 1706 (v 1997)
- Matthew Higgins Study.
Profile last updated 15 February 2018.