Bendora Hut is located just below the ridge line about 1.5km down the "Bendora Fire Trail" to the east, from the Bulls Head to Gininni road. The signs say "Bendora Aboretum". It is on the Tidbinbilla map.
Our historian claims that this particular hut was built about 1942, mainly as shelter for employees of the former Forestry and Timber Bureau who established the nearby arboretum. It was later used by loggers. He also indicates that it was originally larger with gabled wings running from each side.
Tents and other cubicles existed nearby, the latter for sleeping quarters, while this hut was used as the kitchen and dining area.
Others claim that Bendora was built in 1930 by Ted Kennedy for road workers. This was the last hut built for arboretum support, following Pryors Hut.
Caretaker - Trevor Clement
Last updated 22nd November 2016.