Location beside the airstrip and old tin mines at Port Davey, South West National Park.
Also known as Charles King Memorial Hut, Melaleuca
Local tin-miner Deny King, with help from bushwalkers, built The Charles King Memorial hut in 1960 in memory of his father, Charles King, who was always welcoming to bushwalkers passing through Melaleuca.
In 1973 Deny King built another hut nearby, with the aid of the Launceston Walking Club, to cater for growing bushwalker numbers.
A storage shelter at the airstrip was built by the Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service in 1972, with funds from the David Troedel estate, after Victorian bushwalker David Troedel went missing without trace during a walk along the South Coast in December 1972.
Both bushwalkers huts are built of corrugated iron in the Nissen style, to match that of Deny's private residence built in 1946. The Troedel Shelter is a semi-open building of vertical board construction.
All three structures are maintained by Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service with assistance from Friends of Melaleuca, Wildcare Inc.
- Tony & Janet Fenton, 2013
- Christobel Mattingly's biography, King of the Wilderness: the life of Deny King, Text Publishing,2001.
Profile last updated 18th August 2013.