Located at Twilight Tarn, Tarn Shelf, Mt Field National Park.
Photo: Olaf Moon, 2002
This hut was built by members of the Tasmanian Ski Club in 1927 and used very regularly until the late 1950's. Members needed to travel into the area on horseback, about 9 miles from the entrance to the Park.
For skiing, they would walk up the hill behind, to Lake Newdegate, and ski on the wide open bowl above. The tarn in front was commonly used for ice skating, indicating that the temperatures were rather colder than today.
Famous as the site for an impromptu museum, also created by the Tasmanian Ski Club and handed over to the National PArks Service in the 1970's. In 1981, NPWS personnel undertook major restoration work on the hut, which has three main rooms, all with their own fireplace and chimney. The photograph was taken on the June long weekend in 2002, during the first reasonable snow fall for some years.
The museum items remain, as shown at right, with a few being removed to the new entrance building near Russell Falls.