The hut shown here is the first Windy Ridge hut, made entirely of timber, with the walls being of split pine shingles.
It was small but cosy. This photograph was taken on an abortive attempt at crossing the Overland Track from the south on a June long weekend.
The original hut was built in 1953 by Walters and Miles.
Windy Ridge was replaced by Bert Nichol's Hut in 2008.
The first hut was replaced in 1975 with the first public hut, pictured above. This hut could sleep 12 people, but was found to be inadequate with the increase in tourism in the area.
The three huts may not have been placed all on the exactly the same site - if anyone has accurate information regarding the specific location of the huts, please inform the webmaster.
Last updated 26 April 2015