Location - Old Pelion hut is almost in the centre of the Cradle Mountain - Lake St Clair National Park in Tasmania. 

Brief History

Old Pelion Hut is one of the oldest constructions in the park, having been built in 1895, to house the Mine Manager for the initial explorations of the Mole Creek and Zeehan Mineral Prospecting and Exploration Company. Diggings are still very evident nearby, and revealed vast quantities of low grade ore, but little of profit.

Following closure of the mine, the hut was used by cattlemen including Charlie Cox and John Day in the 1920s, and later by snarers.

In 1936 a snarer called Lionell Connell renovated the hut. Lionell later became the local ranger. The hut was renovated again in the 1960s. In the 1980s, the fireplace was removed to stop the hut being inadvertantly burnt down.

New Pelion stands about two kilometres away, and has been especially built to handle sustained usage. It was replaced by an even newer and much larger hut in 2001.

Photo: 1971

Construction

Of pine, brought from the forest under Mt Oakleigh.