Located on Bruny Island, Tasmania.
Also known as "The Cardboard Goblet"
Shown on the Tasmania 1:100000 Topographic map-. 8311 D'Entrecasteaux at EN337122.
The auxiliary ketch, Swift, left Adventure Bay, Bruny Island for Hobart on the 12th November 1935 with a cargo of 12500 superfeet of sawn timber however, heavy weather forced the Master to seek shelter under Cape Queen Elizabeth. Early on the 13th seas began to wash over the vessel which started to take in water forcing the crew of three to abandon the vessel.
The Swift was washed up on Miles Beach in Moorina Bay and became a total loss however much of the cargo was salvaged. The remains, which comprised the forward part of the hull and some of the sawn timber cargo, were abandoned to the sand dunes of Miles Beach.
In the ordinary course of events that should have been the end of the Swift. However, early in 1951 a pair of lads walked into Miles Beach to camp at Miles Creek, the only source of reasonably fresh water in the area. They found movement of the sand dunes had uncovered the remains of the Swift and sufficient planking from her cargo to enable a small hut to be built and fitted out with bunks.
Roofing materials and the components of a wood fuelled stove were packed in over Mars Bluff which marks the Southern end of Miles Beach As it presently exists the hut is in excess of 50 years old. The original builders continue to visit and maintain the hut and at the date of writing it is in reasonable condition although threatened by sand dune movement. Intending visitors should note fuel for the stove is not readily available and water quality and flow in Miles Creek are both uncertain.
Timber from the ship, metal roof, cardboard lining originally.
- Compiled Don Cameron in December 2004
- " The Leather Goblet Archives " Tasmanian Shipwrecks Volume 2, G Broxham and M Nash.
- The Hobart Mercury November 1935
Profile updated 16 February 2005.