photo of guys hutLocated on Howitt Road, Bryces Plain (Snowy Plains). Grid Reference 780 729 on the Tamboritha Moroka map.

Photo: Gary Duncan, 1993

Brief History

Photo: Bev Steers, 2001

photo of guys hutAlex Guy acquired Wonnangatta Station and the Snowy Plains freehold in 1934. The hut was built to replace a nearby hut, now gone, for mustering in March 1940.

Alex died in 1949 and was succeeded by his sons, Jack and Arthur. Their Wonnangatta homestead was burnt down in 1959, and the lease transferred to the Gilder Family in 1970, thereafter soon bought by the Victorian Government.

The historically important Holmes Plains Yards are about 1 kilometre away on Bryces Plain.


The hut was originally built three logs high, and later extended to seven logs high. The timber frames are adzed snow gum found locally and form a gabled roof, now covered with corrugated iron.

The floor is paved with basalt blocks, and the chimney is dry stone construction.

Caretakers - Wollangarra Students.


  • Hueneke Pp36, 42, 237
  • Bernadette de Corte 1992
  • G. Butler 1996 Pp131 - 135.
  • Stephenson
  • Magnussen - no ref.

Page last updated 28 September 2018.