Located at Mt Baw Baw on the eastern side.
Photo: Robin Rishworth
Photo: the Jans Family, circa 1922
The Rawson family owned this lease until 1913, after which Fred "Curly" Jans took it over. Hec Stagg took up this and a larger lease after that.
George Rawson built the first hut for grazing following his purchase of the lease in 1874, well before other huts were built to support skiing. The second hut was built before 1907. His son Charlie took over, and his grandson, Harry Jnr visited indicated that the first hut was demolished by a storm in 1938.
The leases were withdrawn in 1978.
The hut was built by Johan Jans and his son Frederick about 1922. It was razed to the ground in the 1939 fires and rebuilt, standing today.
The Jans family originally came from Denmark, to settle in the Warburton area.
Caretakers - unknown.
- Craig Copland (a relative) - pers comm.
- Gary Duncan and Robin Rishworth
- Stephenson Pp148, 151.
Profile last updated 10 January 2010