Located at the Kelly Track near Cemetery Spur, Marms Point near the head of Wildhorse Creek.
Bogong High Plains map GR 330189 and elevation 1700m. It takes about 3 to 4 hours walk from Watchbed Ck on the Bogong High Plains Road. It is about 700m from Fitzgeralds hut.
Photo: Alan Levy, 2001
Also known as Rocky Valley SEC Commission Survey Hut
Photo: Gary Duncan, 1988
The first hut on the site was built by Kyran Marum and Jack Platt in 1901.
Patrick J Kelly built the second hut on this site in 1901, after grazing began on the lease in the 1890s. This hut has vertical slab walls, a paling roof and gabled structure, but was burnt down in 1956.
It was replaced with an SEC hut (originally built in 1928? - historical if it is), removed from the Rocky Valley site two years later. The Kelly family, through Mrs T Kelly and later her son, owned the lease until taken over by the NP in 1982.
A typical pre-fab SEC hut, with considerable modifications. The walls are 140mm shiplapped weatherboards over a hardwood frame. There are three sections to the hut.
The roof is corrugated iron and the floor of T&G hardwood. There is internal lining, mostly of caneite. The iron chimney has recently been restored.
Caretakers - Roper and Maddison families.
- Hueneke Pp 167, 178, 239.
- G. Butler 1996 Pp160-163.
- Magnussen Pp120 - 121
- Stephenson 247, 248, 270, 272, 276, 278, 284.
Profile last updated 28 September 2003.