Located at the Benambra Corryong Road, Gibbo River Junction. On the Bairnsdale map at GR661352.
Part of this hut was supposed to have been built by a Chinese miner Ah Sye in about 1876. Mr Sye was a shopkeeper here from 1868 to 1876, after which he took up mining for gold at Exhibition Creek nearby.
A more likely possibility, is that the first part of the full hut was built by Bertie Proctor in 1932, who lived here until his death in 1952. Herb Waters a CRB patrolman and Reg Hoggins lived here from 1956. After that, it was taken over by Reg Hoggin's son.
The kitchen was built first in 1932 and the last wing was added in 1972. Other buildings including a log hut and a garage were added at different times.
The kitchen is sawn hardwood palings. There is a gabled iron roof and butted wooden floor. The skillion roofed garage was built in 1958.
Caretakers - Clearly looked after, but by whom?
- Hueneke - no ref.
- Butler Pp175 - 179
Profile updated 28 September 2003.