KOSCIUSZKO HUTS ASSOCIATION

Located 300 m north of the sealed road, 2 km west of the three way Cumberland Junction with roads leading to Warburton, Marysville and Woods Point. The district was originally known as "The Cumberland" or Cumberland Creek, but the town was named after A Cameron and FJ Barton.

Brief History

This hut started life in 1862 as one of several stopping places along the road, providing food and accommodation on the track to the remote mountain goldfields at Woods Point, Matlock and Jericho.

For brief periods through to the 1890's the district supported a few mines of its own, but by the early 20th century the area was in serious decline. The 1939 fires burnt out most of the remaining fosickers and larger mines to the east (although a couple were rebuilt).

However in 1943 Cambarville found a second life as the site for a timber mill. The mill company built 16 new houses and a school for its employees and their families. The mill and school closed in 1969. When the mill burnt down in 1970, the town gradually declined and today it comprises a Parks Victoria or Road Construction Authority depot, (a huge shed, yard area and petrol bowser), a few ruins in various states of decay, a variety of huge tree stumps, an abandoned house 'Hubertus' (still just salvageable) and two well looked after homes.

An excellent two hour walk starts from the picnic ground just south of the township and takes in some 80 metre tall (but narrow) mountain ash and the site of one of the broadest mountain ash recorded (22 m girth at breast height, burnt in 1920), before entering a superb stand of cool temperate rainforest near Cora Lynn Falls.

Construction

All buildings and ruins are weather board or wooden paling except for the giant steel shed.

Caretakers & owners - Parks Victoria and unknown householders.

References

  • David Sisson - pers comm.
  • Steenhuis, Luke. Secrets of ghost towns of the mountain goldfields. 1999. p. 25.
  • Thomas, Ann. The Big Culvert: in the Cumberland Reserve on the Yarra Track. 1992.
  • Griffiths, Tom. Forests of Ash. Cambridge U. P., 2001. [There are at least four other fairly recently published sources, but those above are the most relevant]

Profile last updated with valuable input from David Sisson 26 December 2003.