Grazing and Pastoral
The KHA website maintainers found some nice photos taken by NPWS' Craig Smith for a Tumut and Adelong Times article about the history of grazing at Pretty Plain Hut and surrounds. We are looking for a copy of the article.
Valentines Hut was constructed by the Snowy Mountains Authority in 1955 as a base for hydrologists monitoring precipitation, snow depths and stream flows on the Geehi River and its tributaries, to aid planning for the Geehi Reservoir and the Murray 1 & 2 Power Stations.
Whites River Hut was constructed in 1934-5 as a stockmens’ shelter for the Clarke Brothers, who held the local grazing lease. In 1938 the Kosciusko Alpine Club purchased a part-interest in the hut and upgraded it to serve as a comfortable base for ski touring during the winter months whilst the stock was away.