facebook f    instagram   |   Kosciuszko Huts Association  

Download an article from the Monaro Mercury, circa 1898, describing the construction of the observatory on the top of Mt. Kosciuszko.

Graham Scully, KHA Historian, offers the following notes:

Arthur Mawson of Cooma was well respected having built several buildings including the Anglican Church.

James Spencer did a great deal of guideing in the later 19th century.

The Bogong mines were in what is now known as the Grey Mare range and the area around Grey Mare hut is dotted with mining remains from this period as well as another mining venture in the late 1930's and early 1940's.

McAlister, the Mine Manager was the first to ski down what we now call Jagungal, then, Bogong mountain. After this mine closed down he was involved in a rather shady deal on Snowy Plain where he reputedly "salted" a small area of floodplain, persuaded investors, who purchased a gold dredge from Bright in Victoria. This dredge was sent by rail to Cooma railway station and thence by Jack Adam's bullock wagon to Snowy Plain.The dredge worked only a week or so before being abandoned.

 KHA reserachers mark out the boundaries of the observatory